Hey!! Thank you :D And yes I can!
I measured my head from chin to top and then from ear to ear (not in the round, just with a flat ruler) and created a box with those dimensions  across the front and a depth of 3” (the side and ends here). I measured it out carefully and marked it on a piece of bristol paper I had (any big, kind of stiff paper will work probably!) and cut it out, then taped it together. 

It was a little flimsy so I made the same box again (a tiny bit smaller this time) with a depth of 2”, and I assembled that one and put it inside the first, then reinforced it with tape. I then used small pieces of cardstock i’d cut out of like, the packaging for a pair of tights or something? to create L shaped braces along the interior sides and corners to reinforce it some more. When I felt like it was sufficiently strong, I traced a quarter twice onto one side of the mask, then VERY CAREFULLY cut it out with an x-acto knife. (I cut around the edge of the circle first, then made an X in the middle until that went through, and then cut through the layers of paper very carefully.)
After that I measured two lengths of elastic—one from side to side, across the back of my head, and one from the top of the mask to where the other strap was. I sewed a loop at the end of that strap, then stapled the elastic into the inside of the mask, the flat sides on the outside. I put duct tape over the pokey parts of the staples on the inside of the mask so they wouldn’t catch on my morphsuit hood, and then reinforced the outside of the mask with duct tape as well.
I put a very thin layer of hot glue around the edges of the circle holes to prevent them from looking bad, then used spackle to hide any weird lumps on the mask that reinforcing it had made. Once that was dry, I primered it, and then painted it with silver paint i’d gotten as a freebie at school.
Once that was dry, I taped bits of green plastic from a bag of button parts over the two holes, and voila!

I wore a black spandex mask underneath the box mask so that my face and neck wouldnt show, but it’s just held on by elastic. That part is covered by the hood and robots head isn’t that deep, so it looked pretty accurate!

Hey!! Thank you :D And yes I can!

I measured my head from chin to top and then from ear to ear (not in the round, just with a flat ruler) and created a box with those dimensions  across the front and a depth of 3” (the side and ends here). I measured it out carefully and marked it on a piece of bristol paper I had (any big, kind of stiff paper will work probably!) and cut it out, then taped it together. 

It was a little flimsy so I made the same box again (a tiny bit smaller this time) with a depth of 2”, and I assembled that one and put it inside the first, then reinforced it with tape. I then used small pieces of cardstock i’d cut out of like, the packaging for a pair of tights or something? to create L shaped braces along the interior sides and corners to reinforce it some more. When I felt like it was sufficiently strong, I traced a quarter twice onto one side of the mask, then VERY CAREFULLY cut it out with an x-acto knife. (I cut around the edge of the circle first, then made an X in the middle until that went through, and then cut through the layers of paper very carefully.)

After that I measured two lengths of elastic—one from side to side, across the back of my head, and one from the top of the mask to where the other strap was. I sewed a loop at the end of that strap, then stapled the elastic into the inside of the mask, the flat sides on the outside. I put duct tape over the pokey parts of the staples on the inside of the mask so they wouldn’t catch on my morphsuit hood, and then reinforced the outside of the mask with duct tape as well.

I put a very thin layer of hot glue around the edges of the circle holes to prevent them from looking bad, then used spackle to hide any weird lumps on the mask that reinforcing it had made. Once that was dry, I primered it, and then painted it with silver paint i’d gotten as a freebie at school.

Once that was dry, I taped bits of green plastic from a bag of button parts over the two holes, and voila!

I wore a black spandex mask underneath the box mask so that my face and neck wouldnt show, but it’s just held on by elastic. That part is covered by the hood and robots head isn’t that deep, so it looked pretty accurate!

  1. numinousmotorcycles reblogged this from smoochmotif
  2. smoochmotif posted this